Monday 19 March 2012

Corbieres 2011 Viura/Macabeu

Much to the dismay of the manager at Majestic, I had the specific goal of purchasing the cheapest wine I could bring myself to try for this week's reviews.  This was one of the wines I bought, all around the £5 mark.

I must admit that I did not hold out much hope for this particular bottle.  I expected astringent and acidic but what came forth was more angelic.

The grape is Macabeu (French) or Macabeo (Spanish) or Viura.  Being native to Spain, it is used in white Rioja. 

Concentrating really hard at getting something on the nose, I drew great lung fulls but could not get anything more than a very faint tang of fruit, lemon perhaps, and cream.  After several concerted attempts, I gave up trying. 

The first mouthful brought more sensation than flavour.  It is light and smooth and once again, the creamy texture and fruity undertones only making polite gestures to be noticed. No one thing fights to get your attention or tries to take your taste buds on a roller-coaster ride.  The sharp and acidic bite doesn't come and it goes down with a quickly fading aftertaste, simply leaving you with a desire to take another sip.

This is light, dry and incredibly easy to drink whatever the occasion.  Don't get me wrong, it isn't an earth mover but if you're looking for quality in quantity, this won't disappoint.  This is the perfect sort of Tuesday night drink, when the realisation you aren't even halfway through the week sinks in and you want something to drink that you won't regret the following day.

As for me, I didn't get past Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment