Monday 12 March 2012

Cape Crest, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

Now THIS is a beautiful bottle of white wine!
Bought from Majestic Wine, the price tag is in the £20 region but it was my birthday so wanted to treat myself.  I picked a stonker!
Sticking my nose into the glass, I got a very sweet aroma, similar to mango and it gave the impression that the taste would be a little on the sweet side.  Taking a sip proved that wrong though.  The first mouthful bombards you with lemon, orange and grapefruit hints while at the same time, an unmistakable flavour of stone or flint.  Not that I go round sucking on pebbles.
After the flavours settle down, you are still left with the suggestion that it could be a 'medium' wine however, it turns dry and leaves you with a crisp, clear finish.  A beautiful balance that doesn't take the dry sensation too far.
It sounds a lot for one mouthful but it really did give up all those flavours, and many more.  Even as I drained the bottle, each mouthful was as fresh and full of flavour as the first. 
Wines from New Zealand are usually a good bet but this goes beyond what I normally expect.  I associated good Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough region but I will be adding Hawkes Bay to my list.  In my opinion, this is a fine example of how to do Sauvignon Blanc.  
If someone turned up at my house with this in their hands, I wouldn't turn them away!

No comments:

Post a Comment