Monday 19 March 2012

Luis Felipe 2011 Chardonnay Chile

Luis Felipe is a name that you are likely to have already come across.  These chaps are from Chile and their lower priced bottles can be very competitive with their more expensive counterparts from say New Zealand or Australia.  In my opinion, a stalwart brand that could quite easily have a Hardy's/Jacob's Creek sort of presence in the near future.  I bought this at good old Majestics but I have seen it in other stores.  This bottle works out about £5.

Being a very young wine, it isn't aged in oak casks and so the flavours are punchy and upfront.  The back of the bottle states, "fresh and fruity with flavours of melon and tropical fruit".  Giving it a good sniff, I could detect faint hints of green fruits with gooseberry and melon springing to mind first.    These smells aren't obvious and I had to persevere until I had something to write about rather than enjoy.  

The taste was clear, dry and very crisp.  The acidity of this young wine comes across in the dryness of the taste, which is consistent until it fades.   I found it difficult to detect any real fruity presence in the taste but that isn't necessarily unexpected.  Unoaked chardonnay of good quality is synonymous with being bone dry with the acidity working in it's favour to make it a very refreshing drink.  This bottle certainly displays the right characteristics and I could imagine appreciating a glass of this on a warm day to cool myself down.

No comments:

Post a Comment