Monday 28 May 2012

Poggio Argentiera, Morello Di Scansano 2011, Italy

Recording my thoughts and thinking hard about what I drink has made me aware that I tend to gravitate towards South American and Spanish wines.  I now know I love the full bodied feel of a spicy or well balanced red and I can identify the grapes I am fond of.  In particular Tempranillo, Mencia, Carmenere, Malbec and Tannat, although this list is certainly not exhaustive

For this week's choice, I purposefully turn my back on the 'comfort zone' and point myself in the direction of somewhere new.  Italy.  

Made from 85% Sangiovese and 15% Ciliegiolo, this Morellino Di Scansano is a perfect example of how a great Italian wine should taste but don't just take my word for it.  The bottle quite rightly states the Italian designation of Denominazione Di Origine Controllata E Garantita (DOCG), the highest appellation that can be achieved by an Italian wine, indicating top level of quality.  Consider that along with the price tag of £8 or £9 and it makes it the bottle well worth trying (source: Majestic Wines).

Sangiovese is a very important grape to the Italians and you are most likely to have seen it on numerous other bottles before, including Chianti, where it is the main component.  Sangiovese is very versatile and is also heavily featured in the wider spectrum of Italian wines.  The other grape variety, Ciliegiolo (from the Italian word for cherry) is a common bed fellow with Sangiovese and I suspect is used to temper the slightly sour twist that can come from the latter grape.

On the nose I get light and clean with cherries being the obvious fruit.  There was another smell on the fringes that I couldn't quite identify.  Other reviews suggest cold tea but I was more inclined towards cloves.  The taste is light to medium body, youthful and acidic.  Fresh and ripe cherries dominate the palate as well as the nose although the acidity and tannin are ever present and retain control of the aftertaste which, while good ends abruptly.

Considering my heavier bodied tendency for red, this felt light and refreshing, making it a fantastic choice to have in warm weather.  It is no wonder this particular wine has achieved greatness and I can certainly imagine sipping this while dipping my feet in lago Maggiore or lying in the grass at Giardino Borghese or admiring the teatro at the Piazza Politeama.  

I'm sure the producer, Signore Paglia will be delighted to know that it also goes down a treat on a balmy evening in South Manchester, with a six pack of Mr Kipling Victoria Sponges.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. Not the most obvious of the wine pairing but...everything goes, I'm convinced that good wine goes well with good food (although I'm not sure that I would necessarily classify Mr KVsponges as good food :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A word from the man himself! Grazie Mille!

      That was an unexpected one off. You'll be pleased to hear I have also had it with some meats and cheese and it far outshone the sponges!

      Thanks also for the clarification of the pronunciation of Ciliegiolo on you tube.
      http://youtu.be/1Jc6Z3TxQqQ

      chee-lee'eh-JOH-loh!

      Delete