Wednesday 6 June 2012

Chapel Down Vintage Reserve Brut

I would call myself a reasonably patriotic man.  This week saw the end to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations and for once, the incessant noise of the nay-sayers and complainers was drowned out by the noise of a nation full of street parties, park picnics, brass bands, street processions and other 'community considerate' celebrations.  Love thy neighbour is still alive, and it made me proud to be British.  Something we don't get chance at too often unfortunately.

This being said though, I am not the sort to string up bunting or sellotape plastic flags to my front window to openly display my patriotism.  Instead, I prefer to show my appreciation and allegiance to the Empire in more subtle ways.  Like toasting the Queen with an English Sparkling Wine.

Enter Chapel Down Vintage Reserve Brut.  This is a powerful, sparkling wine made by a vineyard based in Tenterden, Kent who use a combination of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Meunier grapes, from nearby vineyards in Kent, Sussex and Essex.

On the nose I could easily detect juicy apple and crisp citrus tones hiding behind the bubbles.  I am advised that other aromas include lemongrass, fresh bread and wild strawberries however, I believe the chilled temperature of the wine, the flute I was using and the fantastically violent effervescence restricted further discovery.  Upon tasting, the first sensation is crisp and almost flint-like.  The bubbles assault the senses and make for a pleasing, dry and refreshing sip.  Further on, I got very subtle hints of raspberries and apple again however, the crisp and balanced acidity remains the star of the show, providing a clear and lasting aftertaste. 

You can get hold of Chapel Down from a number of places including Asda, Waitrose, M&S and good old Majestic Wines.  The price ranges from £15 to £18 and I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to where it costs the most and least.  You will probably be right.

You may still be thinking that us Brits can't produce Champagne, and you would be right - we can't.  We can however, make a world class, award winning, English Sparkling Wine.  That's definitely another thing to be proud of.


No comments:

Post a Comment