Monday 16 July 2012

Mirador Shiraz, Argentina 2010

I've been really looking forward to writing this review as I have been able to legitimately use different descriptive words on this wine.  Even though I have only been writing and reviewing for a short period, I have become conscious of using the same old verbs and nouns to articulate what I smell and taste.  All of a sudden, I feel the need to over-describe in order to keep my reviews interesting.  This would, of course, be at the cost of you, my wonderful readers.

There is a finite list of ingredients one can use to communicate qualities of wine and while this reservoir is undoubtedly massive, certain words will always feature more heavily than others, especially in wine at the lower end of the price bracket as these are either too young to have developed more complex flavours or are specifically blended to please the generic taste of the masses.  The job of the affordable wine critic gradually gets harder and harder as they try more inventive ways to stand out of the crowd and catch your attention without sounding over pretentious.  

So, without further ado, I give you my 'down to earth but imaginatively chronicled' view of a Shiraz (Syrah) from the Finca Mirador Seleccion from Mendoza, Argentina.  Bought from the Co-Operative at £5.50 (off promotion, £6.50), this wine is a little gem and I would still buy it at twice the price. 

On the nose is an immediate, deep and strong smell of cracked black pepper and cinnamon.  Raw wood smoke nicely bridges the gap to oaky tannins that all but mask the single identity of well ripened red fruits.  The taste brings equal measures of punchy and robust flavours which remain consistent throughout and into the lengthy aftertaste.  Very full bodied, the cheek pinching tannins flex their muscles from the very beginning but give way when it matters, making it surprisingly smooth and palatable.  Peppery spice is omnipresent with a faint nod towards sweet liquorice.  This surprises me in a wine so relatively young but is most welcome.  For me, the fruit really stays in the background and while other reviews suggest cherries, blackberries and the like, this wine is all about the spice, the smoke and the tannins.  These are huge flavours for such a little price tag and for the first time I am not recommending a bottle, I am recommending a bulk purchase.

If I can get my message across to you without sounding too flowery then there may be hope for me as a writer and this makes me happy.  In the words of Blackadder, "I am anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such periconbobulations." Or words to that effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment