Monday 2 April 2012

Zalze South Africa Chenin Blanc 2011

I have decided to continue with the barbecue season wines, even if the weather hasn't.  The red wine drinkers have been placated for the time being at a reasonable price (see my previous two blogs) and now your attention should be fixed on satisfying the 'green grapers'.
 
This weeks offering is an interesting white from the Coastal Region of South Africa.  I bought mine in Tesco and at the time of purchase was being advertised at £5, although the price tag professed an original price upwards of this.

On the nose this was immediately fruity, just like the back label said it was going to be.  Hints of pineapple and other sweet fruits such as peach and kiwi were immediately prevalent, although additional scents of spice, white pepper maybe, were also in there.  Accompanying the fruit is an alternative but very distinct whiff of minerals or slate.

The first mouthful delivers the fruit in a hurry, giving the taste equivalent of the sweet fruits originally detected however, this gives way quickly to a very dry and acidic taste.  The further into the bottle we got, the more the fruit stopped fighting, eventually succumbing almost entirely to the acidic.  My personal preference steers away from this but Julie specifically commented on how she liked this quality and so I was happy to let her finish the bottle, allowing me to turn my attention to something different. 

On the surface this may seem a slightly negative review but I would prefer to look at it as a new discovery.  I now know that as a 'green graper,' Julie likes the acidic and dryness that comes from a young Chenin Blanc and I relish the challenge of being able to match other wines to her taste.  If you served this at a barbecue, your dry wine aficionados will stay happy, especially if you have some goats cheese to nibble at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment